George Mason University – A university for the world
Mission – Who we are and why we do what we do
A public, comprehensive, research university established by the Commonwealth of Virginia in the National Capital Region, we are an innovative and inclusive academic community committed to creating a more just, free, and prosperous world
The Mason idea – Our core institutional characteristics
- Innovative = We question current thinking and try new ideas. We honor time-tested academic principles while striving to create new forms of education that serve our students better and new paths of research that can uncover solutions to the world’s greatest challenges.
- Diverse = We bring together a multitude of people and ideas in everything that we do. Our culture of inclusion, our multidisciplinary approach, and our global perspective, make us more effective educators and scholars.
- Entrepreneurial = We put ideas into action. We educate students to create as well as carry out jobs; become agents of positive change; and add value through government or business, for profit or nonprofit organizations, academia or the arts. We pursue discoveries that can make a difference in the world. We help our community thrive socially, economically and culturally.
- Accessible = We are an open and welcoming community. We partner with public and private organizations in our region and around the world. We proactively engage with our community. We define our success by how many talented students with potential we serve, not how many we leave out.
Our Values – How we work with each other and as an organization
Our Students Come First
Our top priority is to provide students with a transformational learning experience that helps them grow as individuals, scholars and professionals.
Diversity Is Our Strength
We include and embrace a multitude of people and ideas in everything we do and respect differences.
Innovation Is Our Tradition
We strive to find new and better ways to deliver on our mission while honoring time-tested academic values.
We Honor Freedom of Thought and Expression
We protect the freedom of all members of our community to seek truth and express their views.
We Are Careful Stewards
We manage the economic and natural resources entrusted to us efficiently and sustainably.
We Act with Integrity
We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards as educators, scholars, students and professionals.
We Thrive Together
We nurture a positive and collaborative environment that contributes to the well-being and success of every member.
The Mason Graduate – Characteristics we hope all of our graduates will possess
- . . . is an engaged citizen:
- ethically oriented and committed to democratic ideals; respectful of individual differences, rights, and liberties; knowledgeable of important issues affecting the world; focused on the well-being of others; and committed to building a just society.
- . . . is a well-rounded scholar:
- thinks critically and creatively and demonstrates professional competence; possesses an inquisitive nature; appreciates science, humanities, and the arts; skilled as a communicator; and committed to lifelong learning.
- . . . and is prepared to act:
- innovative, resourceful, and entrepreneurial; ready to do or create a job, interested and practiced in working with individuals from other cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives; and equipped to make positive and meaningful changes in society.
Our Commitments – Areas that will drive our attention, innovation, and investments over the next decade
- Learning Innovation: We will apply new and emerging learning technologies, environments, and methods to improve learning effectiveness and student completion, and to better serve the evolving needs of students, working professionals, and public, private and nonprofit organizations.
- Research of Consequence: We will expand research as a central element of our mission; we will work to translate our discoveries into interventions and applications with social, cultural, and economic impact.
- Economic and Cultural Engine: We will act as a catalyst for the economic and cultural vibrancy of our region, as a growing source of talent in high-demand disciplines, as an incubator of business and social enterprises, as a hub of life-long learning, arts and athletics, and as a research and learning partner for public, private and nonprofit organizations.
- Engagement with the World: We will prepare our students to thrive in a global context by infusing global awareness, citizenship values, and learning opportunities across all fields; and we will partner with other organizations in solving global problems where our impact will be highest.
- Sound Investment: We will be a valuable investment for our students, taxpayers, and donors by focusing on outcomes, operational efficiency, and affordability. Specifically, we will expand the number of graduates, the career opportunities for our graduates, the impact of our research, and the value we provide to our community; we will be sensitive to trends in household income in our region in making decisions about tuition and financial aid.
- Enriching Work Environment: We will invest in recruiting, retaining, and developing talented and diverse faculty and academic and professional staff. We will create a vibrant campus life in which all members can grow and thrive.
- A Strong Foundation for the Future: We will aggressively seek additional sources of funding through higher levels of philanthropy, expanded online certificate and executive programs, research grants, and the commercialization of intellectual property. We will also increase our engagement with our alumni, strengthen the Mason brand nationally and internationally, and effectively communicate Mason’s value to stakeholders throughout Virginia and the National Capital Region.
Subject to approval by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia and the legislature under Virginia Code.